Born in 1958 in Ljubljana. He’s a film director and screenwriter; writer / novelist and actor. Graduated from Philosophy and Comparative Literature at the Faculty of Arts in Ljubljana. Before and during his studies, in 1970’ and 80’ he played several main roles in Slovene and Yugoslav feature films and television serials. Among them, several collaborations with the Serbian director Živojin Pavlović were the most important, i.e. the Slovenian feature film Farewell in the next war (1981). He also wrote several novels and a collection of short stories.
Home, 2015, feature documentary;
Tango Abrazos / Practicing Embrace, 2012, feature;
Alexandrians, 2011, feature documentary;
Good night, Missy, 2011, feature;
Hit of the season, 2008, TV feature;
Estrellita, 2007, feature;
Beneath Her Window, 2003, feature;
Carmen, 1995, feature
Born in 1965. Managing director of Vertigo, a Ljubljana (Slovenia)-based production company with a distinctive track record, is a film producer with extensive working experience on international co-productions and narrow budget films. Since 1987, when he started his professional carrier as producer, Danijel has produced or co-produced more than 40 feature films, as well as more than 10 documentaries and 50 short films and TV production, among which the most well-known are An Episode in the Life of the Iron Picker by Danis Tanović (Berlinale 2013: 2 Silver Bears, Shortlisted for Foreign language Oscar); Circles by Srdan Golubović (Sundance 2013: Special Jury Award, Berlinale 2013: Ecumenical Prize); Woman who brushed off her tears by Teona Mitevska (Berlin IFF Panorama Special 2012), Alexandrians by Metod Pevec ('feature doc, Trieste FF 2012 Best documentary award), Slovenian Girl by Damjan Kozole (Toronto IFF 2009, Les Arcs FF: Best Actress Award, Sales in more than 40 territories); Besa / Solemn promise by Srdjan Karanovic (Moscow IFF Competition 2010, Trieste FF 2011 - Grand Prix), The world is big and salvation lurks around the corner by Stephan Komandarev (Moscow IFF Gala 2008, Shortlisted for Foreign language Oscar), Borderpost by Rajko Grlić (San Sebastian IFF Competition 2006), Beneath Her Window by Metod Pevec (Karlovy Vary IFF Competition 2003), Spare Parts by Damjan Kozole (Berlinale Competition 2003), Bread and Milk by Jan Cvitkovič (Venice 2001: Lion of the Future)...
Danijel has been selected among Variety’s Ten Producers To Watch in 2001. He is a voting member of European FIlm Academy and since 2011 the president of the Association of Slovenian Film Producers. He is also, since 2005, actively involved with several European training initiatives such as EAVE (Group Leader between 2009-13), Nipkow Program, Midpoint Central European Script Center and Maia Workshops. He is also an advisor and member of the selection committee of When East Meets West project market since 2012.
More about Danijel Hočevar @ imdb.com: www.imdb.com/name/nm0387764
Independent production company, based in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Established in 1994, by film producer Danijel Hočevar and film directors Damjan Kozole and Metod Pevec. They produced or co-produced more than 40 feature films including:
- Slovenian Girl (2009) / Sarajevo FF Competition, Toronto IFF, Pusan IFF, with over 30 territories sold and Spare parts (2003) / Berlin IFF Competition, Sarajevo FF Competition: Special Jury Award, Toronto IFF, Pusan IFF, both directed by Damjan Kozole;
- Home (feature documentary, 2015) / Sarajevo FF Doc Competition 2015; Alexandrians (2011) / Festival of Slovene Films – Best documentary, Trieste FF – Best Doc; and Estrellita (2007) / Mannheim Heidelberg IFF 2007 – Special Award, Cottbus FF – Dialog Award; all by Metod Pevec
- An Episode in a Life of an Iron Picker (2013) by Danis Tanović / Berlinale Competition 2013: Silver Bear – Jury Grand Prix and Silver Bear for the Best Actor, Shortlisted for Foreign Language Academy Award – Oscar for 2013;
- Circles (2013) by Srdan Golubović / Sundance FF – World Dramatic Competition: Special Jury Prize, Berlin IFF Forum: Prize of Ecumenical Jury, with over 40 international awards;
- Women who brushed off her tears (2012) / Berlin IFF Panorama Special and I am from Titov Veles (2007) / Sarajevo FF Competition: Special Jury Award, Berlin IFF Panorama, Toronto IFF, Pusan IFF, both directed by Teona Mitevska
- Bread and milk (2001) by Jan Cvitković / Venice FF: Lion of the Future Award
- The world is big and salvation lurks around the corner (2008) by Stephan Komandarev / Moscow IFF Gala, Short listed for Foreign Language Film Academy Award – Oscar for 2009, more than 30 international awards, sold to more than 40 territories.
Other film credits include:
- Border post (2006) by Rajko Grlić / San Sebastian IFF Competition;
- Suburbs (2004) by Vinko Moederndorfer / Venice Days, Montreal World Film Festival Competition;
- Besa – Solemn promise (2009) by Srđan Karanović / Moscow IFF Competition, Trieste FF – Grand Prix;
- Idle running (1999) / Karlovy Vary IFF Competition, Cottbus FF Grand Prix and Ruins (2004) / Rotterdam IFF, both by by Janez Burger
- Good Night Missy (2011) / Pula FF – Golden Arena Awards for the Best Film – Minority Co-productions, Best Director and Best Camera; and Beneath Her Window (2003) / Karlovy Vary IFF Competition 2004 both by Metod Pevec
- Labor Equals Freedom (2005) / Locarno IFF – Filmmakers of Present and Forever (2008) / Rotterdam IFF – Spectrum; both by Damjan Kozole
More about Vertigo: www.vertigo.si/